You can use SimpleePAY to set up automatic payment plans. Patients can also do this on their own online (although some hospitals have not enabled this feature).
Your facility’s revenue cycle guidelines are already programmed into SimpleePAY so you won’t need to calculate anything manually.
To set up a payment plan
- Go to the Payment link from the patient account.
- Choose the option Create Simplee PayPlan.
- In the window that expands, choose the amount of each payment. The system will automatically calculate the terms for you.
- Select the Frequency they will be charged at, Monthly, Weekly, or Twice a Month.
- Select the day of the month the patient’s card should be charged.
- Select whether the first payment should occur today or only on the next payment date.
- If you select "Make First Payment Today" the payment taken by the back office user will cover the first payment of the plan. For instance using the image below, if you selected this option it would cover the payment for 10/13 and the patient would be notified for their 11/13 payment.
- Select either an automatic PayPlan or manual PayPlan. For auto plans, the card will automatically be charged once each month. For manual plans, the patient will only receive an email reminder and will still need to take action to make a payment.
- Once you save the PayPlan, the patient will receive an email confirmation.
- For auto PayPlans: Every month, three days before their payment date, the patient will receive an email reminder that their card will be charged.
- For manual PayPlans: Every month, seven days before their payment date, the patient will receive an email reminder to make their payment. Their card will NOT be automatically charged.
- If a card expires or is declined for any other reason, the patient will receive an email notice. For most providers the patient will be able to update their card information through the Patient Experience portal. If this option is not enabled they will have to call to change it.
Modifying a payment plan
- You can modify or cancel a PayPlan at any time. To do this, first search for the patient and open up their account. Click on the Payment link in the top right hand corner.
- Look for the blue links to either Modify or Edit Bill for the plan.
- If you select Edit Bill then you will be able to change the credit card on the payment plan. To remove one, you will have to switch the payment plan to Manual
- If the patient wishes to pay of the entire balance, you should stop the PayPlan first.
- In order to stop the payment plan there is a button located in the top right hand corner of the screen underneath the Payment button. Once you have selected this it will delete the PayPlan.
Payment plans outside of the normal rules
- If you need to set up a payment plan outside of your revenue cycle guidelines, your manager or system administrator may be able to do this for you. Some user accounts have special permissions to override the preconfigured limits.
Good to know
- If a patient had an existing payment plan prior to Simplee, the terms of this plan will remain unchanged.