Please note that this is not enabled for all providers
This new Payment Plan allows for the creation of a payment plan that bills from multiple MRN’s. Once a bill has been added to this new style of Payment Plan the hospital does not see it anymore since that bill is closed. So the bill moves from the patient’s account to a new account which is created specifically for the payment plan. In order to create a multi MRN payment plan follow these steps:
- First select the bills from MRN you wish to include, select create payment plan, and fill in the amount, date, and frequency (general terms)
- Then enter in the payment information and create the account. When you are completing this you will see that there is a break down of each bill and the amount that will be added to the Payment Plan.
- After this it will redirect to the payment plan confirmation screen. From here select payment plan details:
- This page shows the PP details only. From this page you can stop, modify, or add bills to the plan
- When this happens it will remove the bills selected from the MRN’s account
- To see the standalone PP you select the option on the search screen
- The patient’s will receive separate communication for the PP and then for the other open bills
- To add bills, first select add bills, search based on the MRN, and then select the bills they want to include in the plan. After this confirm the terms of the plan and then the bill will be added to this and removed from the normal account. Bills have to be added through this page. You cannot add bills from the account page.
- After this if you return to the Payment Plan details page, which can be reached by selecting the Payment Plan option next to the MRN, when you search for the account. When you do this you will see the updated plan.
There will continue to be emails when you create, add bills, or update terms (no connection with main account). The name and address will show the guarantor who originally set up the account on the Payment Plan details page. These payment plans will be included in the Payment Plan Activity and Inventory reports, showing all MRN’s on the PP and a link to the details page. The Payment Plan log will records changes and the bills added. As with other Payment Plans you can either have a normal PP or a Multi MRN. You cannot have one of each.
What does this look like from the Patient Experience side?
Once a patient logs into their account they will see a new portal view. They will have two tabs, View Open Bills and View Payment Plan.
If the patient selects View Payment Plan, they will be able to add bills, view bills, and view the payment plan details. When they choose to add bills they will have to select the amount and the date that they would like to pay once again.
If the patient would like to add bills from another MRN they will have to provide the credentials from the account they would like to add bills from. This means they will need the other account number and the patient's date of birth. Once they do this all of the bills will be listed when the patient's view the payment plan details in the Experience.
In order to drop bills from these Payment Plans, you will have to delete the Plan and then recreate this. This is not something that the patient's can do in the Patient Experience portal. If the patient would like to do this, they will have to call the provider and have once of the back office users complete the process.